Ugh! There is nothing more frustrating than when half of you wants to move forward and make progress on your goals, but the other half of you is busy building a wall and putting barriers in your way.
Perhaps you can't decide what you want to do next. Perhaps you hold yourself back because you're worried about the consequences of making a change, what will others think? Will you like it? Or what if you fail?
I totally know how you feel! You're all pumped up ready to go but you have nowhere to channel that energy. Right now I'm feeling like this, not with my career, but with money.
To help both you and me, I've come up with three things that we can do right now to move past feeling stuck and frustrated.
1. Be grateful and feel proud of yourself
Write down ten things that you are grateful for right right now and really feel the gratitude.
Then, write down five things that you're proud of yourself for. Really feel that pride!
Finally, (this can be embarrassing) say to yourself “you're doing a great job. You're trying your best.”
Just focus on putting in the work and letting go of the result.
2. Do something different
Get out of the house, go to your favourite café or new cafe, go to your friend’s house. Just get out of the environment you're in and you will bring a new perspective to what you're worrying about. You could also change your environment where you are. Listen to some different music, light some candles or go and sit in a different part of the house.
Another fun way to change your perspective is to pretend to be a kid again! Watch your favorite movie from when you were young and eat your favorite food. While you're in that experience just think back to what it was actually like to be 9 years old. Jut think about how far you've come since then! Think of all the things that you've achieved in the last 20 years! Then think about the next 20 years. Imagine how far you can go and all the things you can do in that time.
3. Take a baby step towards your goal
Often, when you really start feeling frustrated, it’s because you know where you want to go but you're not really sure how to go about getting there. Plus you want to get it done right now!
Stop putting that time pressure on yourself. It really, really does not help how you're feeling. So take off that pressure! It doesn't matter when you get there. It’s the starting and doing little things towards it that counts. So, if you’re not sure about where you want to go and that's frustrating you, I want you to:
- Write down using a piece of paper and a pen, what your options are. Often when we get things down on paper, they seem a lot more real.
- Then, imagining that you have no restrictions, enough money, you don’t have to worry about your own capabilities or time, choose the option from your list that you want to do the most.
- Write down the steps that you need to take to get from where you are now, to where you want to be. Make those steps as small as you can.
- Take the very first step on that list and break it down into even smaller steps.
- Now start working towards that goal! Take that first action and do it right now! So that you can stop feeling stuck and frustrated and you can start feeling like you're actually making progress!
Those are the three things that you can do right now to stop feeling stuck and frustrated. I'm
going to do them too because I'm feeling pretty frustrated right now! Let me know what you think and how you find them! As always, I love to know your thoughts.