Choosing a path that you love can be a fun adventure. You embark on a journey where you get to meet cool new people and try exciting things. You also get to learn a lot about yourself.
Of course, there are also challenges along the way. Whether it’s overcoming your fears, juggling responsibilities or feeling unmotivated, it is an adventure that takes a lot of determination to complete.
However, I really believe that it’s worth finding that determination within yourself. Why? Doing so will change your life for the better!
Before I expand on 7 of the reasons why it will change your life, let me first define what I mean by “choosing a path you love.”
To be really clear, let’s start with what I don’t mean. For me, choosing a path that you love is not:
- Choosing the one career path that you’ll take for the rest of your life
- Suddenly going to bring you happiness
- Just about finding what you love to do and making a career out of that
So what do I mean then?
I see choosing a path that you love as being about:
- Taking into account what you enjoy doing, the impact that you want to make on the world, what you’re good at and the lifestyle you want to live. Then making a career out of that!
- Making it easier for you to feel happy (but not being the cause of it)
- Deciding what you’re going to focus on for the next couple of years. As you grow the path that you choose to take is going to become easier. When this happens you’ll probably start craving a new challenge. This is totally natural. All it means is that it’s time to adjust the path that you’re on. Luckily, having chosen a path before, you’ll find adjusting your path after a couple of years a lot less difficult.
Using that definition, here are 7 reasons why taking the leap and making the effort to choose your path is TOTALLY worth it. It will change your life! (This is from my own, personal experience of choosing my path and leveling it up along the way!)
1. You’ll gain a strong sense of purpose
By putting in the work to choose your path, you’ll develop a strong sense of what matters to you. This will help you to make decisions more easily as you’ll know where your priorities lie. You’ll also find your day-to-day life more rewarding (when you align it with what matters to you).
I’d even argue that you don’t need to work on your path full time at first. You’ll still get a strong sense of purpose by spending time during the evenings and weekends working on it. I’d 100% encourage this!
2. You’ll experience more moments of pure joy
From reading touching thank you messages from young people to having fun with my colleagues after a hard but rewarding day, I’ve experienced SO many moments of joy in the work that I’ve done since choosing my path. It hasn’t been all perfect though! There have also been some seriously challenging moments (and commuting for hours on dark winter mornings has definitely not been a moment of joy!)
It’s important to remember that choosing your path doesn’t mean doing work that you love ALL of the time. However, if you put in the time to carefully choose your path, I guarantee that you'll have hundreds more memorable moments of pure joy at work. And, overall, they’ll outweigh the challenges.
3. You’ll believe in yourself so much more!
Choosing your path is all about using your strengths. Trust me, this is going to make a HUGE difference to your life! By using your strengths you’ll do better work and get more recognition for it. In turn, your self-confidence will grow and you’ll start believing in yourself more. Your goals and dreams will expand. Your everyday life will also be made a little easier by this increased belief in your own capabilities.
4. You’ll stop stressing about making the most of your life
If you do this, you’ll know what I’m talking about! I do love this quote from Steve Job’s 2005 Stanford commencement speech:
“When I was 17, I read a quote that went something like: “If you live each day as if it was your last, someday you’ll most certainly be right.” It made an impression on me, and since then, for the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: “If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?” And whenever the answer has been “No” for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something.” Steve Jobs
However, I’ve found that the stress comes from this when you know that you need to change something, but don’t know what to change it to. Thankfully, this goes when you learn how to choose your path. Having done it before, you’ll know exactly how to go about making a change when the time comes.
5. You’ll be more excited about your future
Why? Your increased confidence will make it easier to dream big and take action on those awesome dreams! As you do work that suits you, you’ll have more to look forward to on a day to day basis. You might even find yourself feeling excited about going to work (yep that does happen!)
6. You’ll learn more about things that you care about (and get paid to do it)
I find learning really fun (don’t judge!) So one of the things that I’ve really loved about choosing my path has been being able to learn about things that I care about everyday! Since choosing my path I’ve found myself getting paid to master skills that I used to use my precious evenings and weekends to learn! For me, it doesn’t get better than that.
7. You’ll raise the bar
What surprised me most about choosing my path and taking it?
The places that your path can lead you to! It will lift you up and act as a stepping stone to things that right now, you can’t imagine.