I remember when I was stuck in a job I hated and had no idea where to go next. I'd spend my weekends weaving around the internet, googling search after search trying to find a solution.
Before I'd get anywhere it would be Sunday night and time to switch back to work mode. I really didn't feel rested at all!
Today I want to share with you how to make progress towards your goal of finding direction AND keep some precious weekend and evening time for having fun.
This is the same process I plan on using when I become location independent next year. Here's what I plan a typical day to be like:
"I get up read, have breakfast and be silent for a few minutes enjoying the peace, calm and tropical noises. I work until lunch. Before calmly stopping working for the rest of the day, feeling proud of what I've accomplished that morning. I know I can do this because I planned ahead and know exactly what I need to achieve each day/week/month to be where I want to be with my business. I'd then be free for the afternoon to explore, snorkel, hike and have loads of fun!"
You can apply the same process to the work you need to do to find your direction by following these 6 steps:
- Choose a tangible goal (preferably with a number in it!) E.g. Have tried 5 new hobbies, have listed 5 of my strengths, have shortlisted 3 potential dream careers.
- Decide when you want to have achieved this goal by.
- Break the goal into smaller chunks that can be completed in 15-30 minutes.
- Work backwards from the deadline you've set yourself. How many days are there until you want to complete your goal?
- How many of the 15-30 minute chunks can you do on each of the days? Schedule them in where you realistically have time to complete them. Make sure you have time to do other fun things on the days you put them in for too!
- There you have it! You now know exactly what you have do each day to meet your goals. Once you've completed your tasks for the day, congratulate yourself, relax and enjoy the rest of the day! That's what I intend to do ;)